i'm fluent in javascript as well as klingon.

Monday, November 01, 2010

Amazon Web Services is now offering a Free Usage Tier

Not totally news but a news item worth looking at; AWS is now offering a Free Usage Tier, see http://aws.amazon.com/free/

My personal reaction is: The Freemium model has been a very successful one with many other Web hosted and Web service offerings. I'm surprised Amazon didn't offer this from the start. It shows they are attempting to broaden their reach to new (perhaps more conservative?) customers now entering the Cloud IaaS space who are considering which projects are right to move into the cloud. It's interesting to see this offering is not a sandbox approach and it's time boxed at 1 year which means customers will be able to implement real projects that can be easily moved into bigger production instances.

Dustin Amrhein says:
I think it is a good move on their part. The only thing I do not like about it is that the offer only applies to new AWS customers. As an existing AWS user, I cannot take advantage of the one year free time for a micro instance.
Some other blogger reactions:
Strange, I didn't see any comment about this on the AWS blog. This surprises me, because I'm a huge fan of that blog and the evangelists that work on the AWS team. I like what they are doing there.

No comments: